Studying in Canada offers Indian students a wealth of opportunities for personal and academic growth. Not only does Canada boast world-class educational institutions, but it also provides a supportive and inclusive environment for international students. One of the key concerns for Indian students aspiring to study in Canada is the cost associated with pursuing higher education. However, scholarships for Indian students in Canada present a promising solution, enabling students to fulfill their academic ambitions while easing the financial burden. In this guide, we will explore various scholarships available for Indian students in Canada and valuable tips to increase your chances of securing a scholarship. Let’s begin!
Benefits of Studying in Canada for Indian Students
Studying in Canada offers numerous advantages for Indian students, making it an attractive destination for higher education. Here are the key benefits of pursuing studies in Canada:
- Access to top-notch education: Canadian universities are renowned for their academic excellence and offer a wide range of programs and disciplines to choose from.
- Exposure to diverse cultures and perspectives: Studying in Canada allows Indian students to immerse themselves in a multicultural environment, fostering cross-cultural understanding and expanding their global perspectives.
- Opportunities for research and innovation: Canadian universities provide ample opportunities for research collaborations, cutting-edge facilities, and access to industry partnerships, enhancing students’ academic and professional development.
- Post-study work permits and potential pathways to permanent residency: Canada offers favorable post-study work permit options, allowing international students to gain valuable work experience and potentially transition to permanent residency.
- Availability of part-time job opportunities to support living expenses: Indian students in Canada can work part-time while studying, enabling them to support their living expenses and gain practical work experience.
Still confused? Is Canada a good study destination? Don’t worry.
Read our article: Why should I choose Canada for education?
Various scholarships for Indian students in Canada
There is plenty of scholarships for international students in Canada. Some of the most common types of scholarships you can access include:
Government-funded scholarships are excellent opportunities for Indian students to pursue their education in Canada. These scholarships are typically provided by government agencies and organizations to support international students. They aim to promote educational exchange and strengthen cultural ties between countries. Here are some notable government-funded scholarships available for Indian students:
Global Affairs Canada Scholarships:
Global Affairs Canada (GAC) offers a variety of scholarships to students and researchers from around the world. The amount of the scholarship varies depending on the program but can range from a few thousand dollars to tens of thousands of dollars. Eligibility requirements also vary but typically include being a citizen of a participating country, having a strong academic record, and demonstrating leadership potential.
Here are some of the most popular GAC scholarships:
|Canada-China Scholars’ Exchange Program (CCSEP)||Up to $50,000|
|Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships||Up to $75,000|
|Emerging Leaders in the Americas Program (ELAP)||Up to $25,000|
|Canada-CARICOM Skills Training for the Green Economy Scholarships (CCSGTES)||Up to $15,000|
|Canada-CARICOM Faculty Leadership Program (CCFLP)||Up to $10,000|
Here is the common eligibility for these scholarships:
- Available for Indian students pursuing undergraduate, graduate, or doctoral studies in Canada.
- Typically, students need to meet the admission requirements of their chosen Canadian institution.
- Students must demonstrate academic excellence in their previous studies.
- Applicants may need to demonstrate proficiency in English or French. This is usually done through standardized language tests like IELTS, PTE, or TOEFL.
- Applicants must secure admission to a recognized Canadian institution and provide proof of acceptance in their scholarship application.
- Specific academic requirements may vary depending on the scholarship program.
- The minimum GPA requirement can vary, but it is usually around 3.0-3.5 or higher.
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS):
The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) is a prestigious national scholarship program that supports outstanding doctoral students who demonstrate leadership potential and a high standard of scholarly achievement in their chosen field of study. The Vanier CGS is worth $50,000 per year for three years and is administered by the Vanier-Banting Secretariat.
To be eligible for the Vanier CGS, applicants must:
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or foreign national who has been granted a study permit to study full-time in Canada.
- Be enrolled in a full-time doctoral program at a Canadian university.
- Have completed no more than 32 months of full-time study in their doctoral program by the deadline for applications
- Demonstrate leadership potential and a high standard of scholarly achievement in their chosen field of study.
University-specific scholarships for Indian Students in Canada
Many universities in Canada offer their own scholarships to attract and support international students. These scholarships are specific to each university and can vary in terms of eligibility criteria and financial assistance. Here are some universities that provide scholarships specifically for Indian students:
Simon Fraser University (SFU):
- Amount: Up to $10,000 per year.
- Eligibility: Available for Indian undergraduate and graduate students with outstanding academic achievements.
- Applicants must meet the academic requirements of Simon Fraser University (SFU) for the specific program they are applying to. This may include providing transcripts or other proof of previous academic achievements.
- Applicants should demonstrate exceptional academic performance and achievements in their previous studies. This can be evidenced by high grades, academic awards, or recognition.
- Some SFU scholarships may require applicants to submit letters of recommendation from teachers, professors, or other individuals who can attest to their academic abilities.
- Students must meet the admission requirements of SFU and demonstrate exceptional academic performance in their previous studies.
- The minimum GPA requirement can vary, but it is typically around 3.5 or higher.
Fairleigh Dickinson University (FDU):
- Amount: Up to $10,000 per year.
- Eligibility: Must submit a complete FDU application for admission.
- Awarded at the time of admission.
- Renewable based on continued full-time enrollment, maintaining a good GPA, and remaining in good standing at FDU.
- Meeting minimum criteria does not guarantee receipt of an award.
- Subject to certain restrictions.
- Awarded per year for the Fall and Spring semesters.
- It cannot be used towards a Summer semester.
- Specific academic qualifications and minimum GPA requirements are not mentioned in the provided information. It is advisable to refer to FDU’s official scholarship guidelines or contact the university directly for detailed eligibility criteria.
Royal Roads University (RRU):
- Amount: Up to $5,000.
- Eligibility: Available for Indian undergraduate and graduate students based on academic merit and leadership qualities.
- Academic Requirements: Students must meet RRU’s admission requirements and showcase strong academic performance and leadership potential.
- RRU places importance on leadership potential and looks for candidates who have demonstrated leadership qualities or have been involved in leadership roles within their academic or extracurricular activities. This can include participation in student organizations, community service, or other forms of leadership experience.
- The minimum GPA requirement can vary, but students must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Amount: Up to $30,000.
- Eligibility: Applicants must be non-Canadian citizens.
- Eligible candidates should be entering Lakehead University from a recognized high school curriculum or transferring from an international college or university.
- The scholarship is available to top international high school students who have demonstrated outstanding academic performance. While specific grade requirements may vary, recipients typically have a strong academic record.
- No separate scholarship application is required. Students are automatically considered for the International Entrance Scholarships and Awards when they apply for admission to Lakehead University.
- Students must also have an involvement in extracurricular activities or community service.
- The minimum GPA requirement can vary, but competitive scholarships often require a high GPA, typically around 3.5 or higher.
Thompson Rivers University (TRU):
- Amount: Varies
- Eligibility: Available for Indian undergraduate and graduate students based on academic excellence and community engagement.Students must meet TRU’s admission requirements and demonstrate outstanding academic achievements and involvement in community activities.The minimum GPA requirement can vary, but this scholarship requires a GPA of 3.5 or higher.
Related Article: 10 Best Undergraduate Scholarships For Study In Canada
External scholarships for Indian Students in Canada
In addition to government-funded and university-specific scholarships, Indian students can explore external scholarships offered by various organizations and foundations. These scholarships for international students in Canada may have specific eligibility criteria and application deadlines. Here are some notable external scholarships available for Indian students:
Commonwealth Scholarships for Developing Commonwealth Countries:
- Amount: Varies based on the scholarship.
- Eligibility: Available for Indian students pursuing undergraduate or postgraduate studies in Canada.
- Applicants must meet the academic requirements of the Canadian institution they plan to attend and demonstrate academic excellence in their previous studies.
- Applicants must have completed their undergraduate education or hold a degree that is equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree in Canada.
- Since the medium of instruction in most Canadian universities is English, applicants are generally required to demonstrate a good command of the English language through standardized English language proficiency tests such as IELTS or TOEFL.
- The minimum GPA requirement can vary depending on the scholarship, but competitive scholarships often require a high GPA, typically around 3.0-3.5 or higher.
Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation Scholarships:
- Amount: Up to $100,000.
- Eligibility: Available for Indian students pursuing postgraduate studies in Canada in specific fields.
- This Scholarship is applicable to specific fields of study, which may vary from year to year. It is important to check the specific fields supported by the foundation.
- Applicants must demonstrate exceptional academic achievements in their previous studies.
- The minimum GPA requirement can vary, but competitive scholarships often require a high GPA, typically around 3.5 or higher. A strong academic record is an important factor in the selection process.
Transglobal Overseas understands the significance of scholarships to study in Canada for Indian students. Our experienced abroad education consultant can provide comprehensive guidance on identifying and applying for various scholarships. Contact us now to unlock the potential of scholarships and fulfill your dream of studying in Canada.
Eligibility for scholarships for Indian Students in Canada
Eligibility criteria for Canadian scholarships vary depending on the scholarship provider and program. However, common factors considered in scholarship selection include:
- Academic achievements: Strong academic performance is often a crucial criterion for scholarships. Scholarship providers look for students with exceptional grades and a demonstrated commitment to their field of study. Maintaining a high GPA or achieving specific academic benchmarks may increase your eligibility for certain scholarships.
- Extracurricular involvement: Active participation in extracurricular activities, leadership roles, community service, and volunteer work can greatly enhance your scholarship application. Scholarship providers value well-rounded individuals who have made significant contributions outside the classroom and have shown dedication to their communities.
- Research experience: For scholarships that focus on research or specific academic disciplines, having prior research experience or engagement in research-related activities can be advantageous. Demonstrating your interest and proficiency in conducting research can make you a strong candidate for scholarships in fields such as science, technology, engineering, mathematics (STEM), or social sciences.
- Demonstrated financial need: Some scholarships prioritize students who require financial assistance to pursue their studies. These scholarships aim to support students who may face financial barriers to accessing quality education. Providing documentation or demonstrating your financial need through a detailed statement can increase your chances of eligibility for such scholarships.
- Field of study or program-specific requirements: Certain scholarships may be specific to particular fields of study or programs. For example, scholarships may be available for students pursuing degrees in engineering, business, arts, or healthcare. Meeting the specific requirements and demonstrating your passion and dedication to the chosen field can enhance your eligibility for these scholarships.
The application process for Canadian scholarships
The application process for scholarships for Indian students in Canada typically involves the following steps:
- Research and identify suitable scholarships: Begin by researching scholarships that align with your academic interests, field of study, and eligibility criteria.
- Gather necessary documentation: Prepare the required documents, including academic transcripts, letters of recommendation, statement of purpose, and any additional materials specified by the scholarship provider.
- Prepare scholarship essays or personal statements: Craft compelling essays that showcase your academic achievements, career aspirations, extracurricular involvement, and how the scholarship will contribute to your educational journey.
- Submit the application: Follow the instructions provided by the scholarship provider to submit your application before the deadline.
- Follow up and track your application: Keep track of your application status and follow up with the scholarship provider if required.
Recommended Article: How Much Percentage is Required for a Canada Study Visa?
Transglobal Overseas offers comprehensive support throughout the scholarship application process, including assistance with documentation, essay writing, and application submission. Contact us now to enhance your scholarship application.
Tips for increasing chances of receiving a scholarship
Knowing about the best scholarships is one thing, but getting a scholarship is very different. In the competition, securing a scholarship might be tough. So, here are some tips on how to maximize your chances:
- Start early: Begin your scholarship search and application process well in advance to have ample time for research, preparation, and meeting application deadlines.
- Research extensively: Explore various scholarship opportunities, including government-funded, university-specific, and external scholarships. Consider your academic strengths, field of study, and eligibility criteria to identify suitable options.
- Maintain strong academic performance: Focus on maintaining excellent grades throughout your academic journey, as strong academic records increase your chances of securing scholarships.
- Highlight extracurricular involvement: Engage in extracurricular activities, leadership roles, community service, and volunteer work to showcase your well-rounded profile and demonstrate your commitment beyond academics.
- Craft compelling scholarship essays: Pay attention to crafting impactful essays that highlight your unique experiences and aspirations and how receiving the scholarship will contribute to your academic and career goals.
- Seek recommendation letters: Cultivate strong relationships with professors, mentors, and supervisors who can provide strong recommendation letters that emphasize your skills, achievements, and potential.
- Seek guidance and support: Consult educational consultants or scholarship advisors who can provide guidance and support throughout the scholarship application process, helping you make informed decisions.
Other financial resources for Indian students in Canada
While scholarships for international students in Canada provide valuable financial support, there are additional avenues for Indian students studying in Canada to explore:
- Student loans: Consider exploring student loan options available through financial institutions or government programs. These loans can help cover tuition fees and living expenses, providing you with the necessary financial assistance to pursue your studies.
- Part-time work in Canada: Indian students studying in Canada have the opportunity to work part-time while pursuing their education. Working part-time can help you earn income to support your living expenses and gain valuable work experience. Explore job opportunities on-campus or in the local community that aligns with your schedule and interests.
- Grants and bursaries: Many universities, organizations, and government bodies offer grants and bursaries specifically designed for international students. These financial resources can provide additional support to cover expenses related to tuition, textbooks, accommodation, or other educational costs. Research and apply for grants and bursaries that match your qualifications and field of study.
- Internships and co-op programs: Consider participating in internships or cooperative education programs offered by your university or through external organizations. These programs provide practical work experience related to your field of study and can sometimes offer financial compensation. Engaging in internships or co-op programs not only helps with financial matters but also enhances your employability and provides valuable industry exposure.
How can transglobal overseas help you study in Canada?
Transglobal Overseas is your trusted partner in realizing your dreams of studying in Canada. Our range of services includes:
- University and program selection: Our experienced consultants will guide you in selecting the most suitable university and program based on your academic goals, interests, and budget.
- Application & Admission assistance: We provide personalized support in preparing and submitting your university applications, ensuring that all necessary documentation is complete and submitted accurately.
- Scholarship guidance: Our team will assist you in identifying and applying for scholarships that align with your profile and aspirations, enhancing your chances of receiving financial assistance.
- Exam Preparation: We provide coaching classes in the Delhi region for English proficiency exams like IELTS, UKVI, and PTE. Our trainer has 8+ years of experience. So, what are you thinking? Book your free demo class today.
- Visa guidance: We offer comprehensive guidance and support throughout the Canada visa process, ensuring that you meet all requirements and submit a strong application.
- Pre-departure assistance: Transglobal Overseas provides pre-departure orientation sessions, helping you familiarize yourself with Canadian culture, academic expectations, and practical aspects of living in Canada.
Transglobal Overseas is your go-to scholarship partner. You can rely on us for everything. Get in touch with us and get expert financial assistance today!
Securing scholarships for Indian students in Canada is an excellent way for Indian students to access world-class education while minimizing financial barriers. By exploring various government-funded scholarships, university-specific scholarships, and external scholarships, Indian students can uncover numerous opportunities to fund their education in Canada. Alongside scholarships, it is crucial to explore other financial resources and leverage professional guidance to maximize your chances of studying in Canada. Embark on your educational journey with Transglobal Overseas and open doors to a bright future in Canada.
What amount of money is available through scholarships?
The amount of money available through scholarships varies greatly depending on the specific scholarship program and its criteria. Some scholarships may cover partial tuition fees, while others can provide full financial support, including tuition, living expenses, and even travel costs. It is essential to research and explore various scholarship opportunities to determine the amount of funding available for your specific academic program and needs.
Can I study in Canada with a full scholarship?
Yes, it is possible to study in Canada with a full scholarship. Full scholarships typically cover all study in Canada costs like tuition fees, living expenses, and other related costs, allowing students to pursue their studies without financial constraints. However, securing a full scholarship is highly competitive, and eligibility criteria and application requirements vary among scholarship programs.
How can I get a scholarship to study in Canada?
To get a scholarship to study in Canada as an Indian student, you need to research and identify scholarship opportunities that match your eligibility and field of study. Start by exploring government-funded scholarships, university-specific scholarships, and external scholarships. Carefully review the eligibility criteria, application requirements, and deadlines for each scholarship, and submit a strong application that highlights your achievements, academic record, and potential.
How much percentage is required for a scholarship in Canada?
The required percentage for a scholarship in Canada varies depending on the specific scholarship program and institution. While academic excellence is an essential criterion for many scholarships, the required percentage may differ among universities and scholarship providers. Some scholarships may have specific grade requirements, while others consider a holistic approach, taking into account extracurricular involvement, leadership skills, and community engagement.
How much IELTS score is required for a scholarship in Canada?
The IELTS score required for a scholarship in Canada varies depending on the specific scholarship program and institution. While English language proficiency is generally a requirement for international students, the exact IELTS score may differ among universities and scholarship providers. Typically, a higher IELTS score, such as 6.5 or 7.0, is expected for academic scholarships.
Can I go to Canada without IELTS to study?
Yes, it is possible to study in Canada without IELTS. Some universities and colleges in Canada may accept alternative English language proficiency tests or consider English language waivers for applicants who have completed their previous education in English-medium institutions or countries. Additionally, if you meet specific criteria, such as completing an English language preparatory program, you may be exempted from providing an IELTS score.
What types of scholarships are available for international students to study in Canada?
Various types of scholarships are available for international students to study in Canada. These include government-funded scholarships, university-specific scholarships, private organization scholarships, and scholarships based on specific criteria such as academic excellence, leadership, or community involvement. It is essential to research and explore these different types of scholarships to find opportunities that align with your academic goals and eligibility.
How do I find scholarships to study in Canada?
To find scholarships to study in Canada as Indian students, you can utilize online scholarship search engines, visit university websites, and consult with educational consultants or scholarship advisors. These resources provide comprehensive information on available scholarships, eligibility criteria, application requirements, and deadlines. Additionally, reach out to international student offices at Canadian universities or contact their respective scholarship providers for further assistance.
When should I apply for scholarships to study in Canada?
It is recommended to start the scholarship application process as soon as possible. Scholarship application deadlines can vary depending on the program, institution, and scholarship provider. In general, it is advisable to begin researching and preparing your scholarship applications at least 6-12 months before your intended start date. This will give you sufficient time to gather the required documents, complete the application forms, and meet the deadlines.