If you’re someone who is dreaming to study in USA or UK? Then, you must be very familiar with the fact that ‘writing a statement of purpose’ is the most essential part of applying to a foreign university. Isn’t it?
However, writing an SOP is basically similar to writing an essay that is intended to tell the admission committee about the applicant. So, basically in a statement of intent, an applicant is expected to clear about who he is, why he is applying to that particular university, why he is a good candidate, what are his future professional goals, etc.
Apart from telling about the self, the applicants mention their GPA, test scores, and other numbers. Hence, it is always advisable not to ignore the importance of writing an SOP because even the top-rated universities take these SOPs as the most important deciding factor.
Write an Impeccable Statement of Purpose
The first thing you should keep in mind is that your SOP should be perfect so that it can impress the admission officers, right? But do you think, by following the format rules and by knowing about the word count, etc., you can write an ideal SOP?
A successful SOP should be error-free as well as it should be of academic level. However, if you’re not very adept at writing an SOP then it is always suggested to take help from any of your nearest overseas education consultants.
However, here in this blog, we are going to give you some tips on “how to write a successful SOP” and we hope these tips will help you out in preparing your perfect statement of purpose.
So, let’s get started.
What to Include and What Not to Include in SOP?
The first and foremost thing to consider is to use a formal but conversational tone of writing. Plus, you should be specific and on point. Just try to write quantified results and accomplishments. However, you shouldn’t include any unnecessary information from your personal life.
Instead, you should decide that what message you want to convey, and then make sure that you put in only information that helps you to portray yourself in the same way. The committee people want you to be yourself, so you shouldn’t exaggerate but focus on your strengths.
What should be included in SOP –
- You should write about your personal and professional growth through your education and show them that how taking admission to that particular university will help you achieve more growth in every aspect
- You should also include any sort of research work or internship that you were a part of or any sort of volunteer work, or other activities related to your field.
- To some extent, you can also include your life experiences that contributed to your a career in a specific field
- You can also describe that how pursuing this degree will help you achieve your career goals
- And lastly, you should give a detailed description of your life goals both short-term goals and long-term ones.
What shouldn’t be Included in SOP –
- You shouldn’t mention the facts one after another but you should create an intellectual story out of that
- You shouldn’t use the same SOP for every application
- You shouldn’t sound like pleading the committee to accept your application but you should sound capable for the specific program.
The most important thing to do is to revise, edit, and proofread your ‘statement of intent’ and make sure that your SOP is strong enough that it catches the attention of the selection committee.
Final Words –
We hope the tips we have provided you with will help you to write a successful statement of purpose for your application for a masters in USA or an undergraduate program. And we wish you all the very best for crafting a good SOP and for your brighter future in a foreign university as well.
However, if you are still looking for someone who can help you in crafting the best SOP for you then you can have a consultation with Transglobal Overseas Education Consultants as we are the best study abroad consultants in Delhi.